How Long Do Outdoor Pool Tables Last?
Outdoor pool tables are designed to withstand the elements, but their lifespan can vary depending on a number of factors. These factors include:
- Materials Used: High-quality tables made with premium, weather-resistant materials typically last longer than those made with cheaper materials.
- Maintenance: Regular cleaning, coverage and proper storage during severe weather can significantly extend the lifespan of an outdoor pool table.
- Usage: Frequent and rough use may shorten the lifespan, but a well-made table can last for many years even with daily use.
With proper care and maintenance, outdoor pool tables can last 5 to 10 years on average, but top-tier models may last up to 20 years or more.
How Much Do Outdoor Pool Tables Cost?
The cost of an outdoor pool table can vary greatly depending on several factors:
- Size: Larger tables typically cost more than smaller ones.
- Materials: Tables made with high-quality, durable materials are typically more expensive.
- Design: Handcrafted tables, custom designs, or tables with intricate details may come with a higher price tag.
- Brand: Established brands known for their quality and craftsmanship may charge more for their products.
The cost of an outdoor pool table can range anywhere from $2,000 for entry-level models to over $10,000 for luxury or custom designs.
What Are Outdoor Pool Tables Made Of?
Outdoor pool tables need to be sturdy and weather-resistant. Commonly used materials include:
- Aluminum: This is used in the construction of the table's frame due to its strength and rust resistance.
- Composite Materials: These are often used for the table's exterior parts to withstand weather conditions.
- Slate: This is the preferred material for the playing surface due to its flatness and durability. Outdoor tables often use a one-piece slate design. Slates are also a very stable material. There is minimal expansion and contracting due to temperature change.
- Waterproof Cloth: The felt used for outdoor tables is usually waterproof to resist humidity and rain.
Each material is chosen for its ability to endure various weather conditions while maintaining the game's performance.
What Type of Top Does an Outdoor Pool Table Have?
The top of an outdoor pool table, or the playing surface, is one of its most important components. It significantly affects the game's performance. For outdoor tables, the following are typically used:
- Slate: This is the gold standard for pool tables, indoor or outdoor. Slate provides a flat, stable playing surface that allows for consistent ball roll. Slate tops are usually covered with a weatherproof cloth to protect them from the elements.
- Outdoor Waterproof Cloth: This special type of cloth is used to cover the slate. It is waterproof and UV resistant, protecting the table and ensuring a smooth playing surface.
- Aluminum: In some cases, particularly for more portable and lower-cost tables, aluminum might be used. It doesn't offer the same level of play as slate but is more resistant to weather.
Keep in mind that the quality of the top will significantly influence your game. Thus, it's crucial to consider your playing preferences and needs when choosing an outdoor pool table.
Can Sunlight Fade Outdoor Pool Tables?
While outdoor pool tables are designed to withstand weather conditions, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can potentially cause fading. The UV rays from the sun can fade the cloth and the exterior finish of the table over time. Here's what you need to know:
- Sun-Resistant Materials: Some outdoor pool tables are built with sun-resistant finishes and fabrics to slow down the fading process.
- Protection: Using a cover when the table is not in use can protect it from the sun's rays, prolonging its aesthetic appeal and lifespan. It is highly recommend to keep the table covered when not it use
- Location: Try to position your pool table in a shaded area to reduce direct sunlight exposure.
Is It Okay to Leave Outdoor Pool Tables Out in the Winter?
Outdoor pool tables are designed to withstand a range of weather conditions, including winter weather. However, taking certain precautions can help protect your table:
- Covering: Use a high-quality, waterproof cover to protect the table from snow and ice.
- Materials: Tables made with weather-resistant materials can withstand colder temperatures. However, it's recommended to bring smaller, portable tables indoors if possible.
- Maintenance: After a snowfall, clear off the snow from the table as soon as you can to prevent moisture build-up.
Remember, while outdoor pool tables are built to endure, proper care and maintenance can significantly enhance their lifespan and performance. Enjoy your outdoor game experience with the right precautions and care!
Purchasing Outdoor Pool Tables from Blatt Billiards
Outdoor pool tables are an excellent investment for any pool enthusiast. They offer a great way to enjoy the game in the fresh air and sunshine, while their robust construction ensures they can stand up to the elements. With proper care, your outdoor pool table can provide many years of entertainment. Feel free to browse our selection of outdoor pool tables or call us at 212-674-8855 to find the perfect match for your outdoor space.