Playing darts is a fun game alone or with friends. Investing in a quality dart board for your home is a great way to practice whenever you want or challenge others to a friendly competition. However, you need to know how to hang a dartboard to ensure it is the right height off the floor.
Regulation Dartboard Distance
Before hanging a dartboard on the wall, you must ensure you have plenty of space to play darts. The regulation distance will vary depending on the type of dartboard as follows:
- Steel Tip Dartboard – The throw line should be seven feet nine and one-quarter inches from the face of the dartboard.
- Soft Tip and Electronic Dartboard – The throw line should be eight feet from the face of the dartboard.
To verify you have sufficient space, have someone hold the dartboard up against the wall at floor level. Next, measure from the face of the dartboard out to the regulation distance. You can use a piece of masking tape on the floor to mark the location of the throw line.
You can also measure diagonally from the bullseye, after hanging the dartboard, to find the throw line. The regulation distance when using this method is nine feet seven and three-eighths inches for steel tip dartboards and nine feet nine and a half inches for soft tip and electronic dartboards.
However, this is more difficult to do since the tape measure can bend and not remain tight. If you do not have anyone to help, tie one end of a string to a thumb tack and measure it out to the correct length. Next, push the thumb tack in the center of the bullseye. Last, pull the string so that it is diagonal from the dartboard to the floor to find the throwline.
Regulation Dartboard Height
The official regulation dartboard height to hang it on a wall is five feet eight inches from the floor to the center of the bullseye. In addition, the height is the same whether you use a steel tip, soft tip, or electronic dartboard. The dartboard can be hung anywhere on the wall as long as it is the correct height off the floor.
Dartboard Distance from the Wall
The dartboard’s distance from the wall will depend on the width of the dartboard plus the size of the U-shaped bracket to secure it to the wall. However, if you put your dartboard in a cabinet, you must account for the additional width of the cabinet.
How to Hang a Dartboard Using a U-shaped Bracket
- Step 1: Measure five feet eight inches from the floor and make a mark on the wall.
- Step 2: Secure the U-shaped bracket to the wall so that the “U” part of the bracket is just below the mark you made on the wall.
- Step 3: Put a screw in the back of the dartboard in the center in the pre-drilled hole. Do not screw it in all the way, and leave about a quarter of an inch of screw showing.
- Step 4: Attach mounting feet in a triangular pattern on the back of the dartboard so they are evenly spaced.
- Step 5: Slide the dartboard into the U-shaped bracket. Verify it is secure and there is no wobble. If there is, remove it and tighten the screw on the back one-half turn. Repeat this process until the wobble is gone.
- Step 6: Turn the dartboard so that the “20” is at the top.
How to Hang a Dartboard Using a Cabinet
- Step 1: Place the cabinet on a table or the floor face up, and open the doors on the cabinet.
- Step 2: Lay the dartboard in the cabinet and center it.
- Step 3: Now, measure from the bottom of the cabinet to the center of the bullseye. Write the measurement down on a piece of paper.
- Step 4: Remove the dartboard, and use the measurement from the previous step to find the location in the cabinet where the center of the bullseye will be located and mark it, so it is easy to see.
- Step 5: Have someone hold the cabinet against the wall in the location where you want to hang it. Next, measure from the floor five feet eight inches to the mark inside the cabinet.
- Step 6: While keeping the cabinet against the wall, use a level and level it. Remeasure to verify the mark is still at the regulation height.
- Step 7: Mount the cabinet to the wall using the instructions that came with it.
- Step 8: Secure the dartboard inside the cabinet using the U-shaped bracket and mounting feet.
Order Quality Dartboards For Your Game Room
It is easy to find quality dartboards at Blatt Billiards. Explore our selections of Blade dartboards in our online store, or contact us at 212-674-8855 for further assistance today.