If you are renovating your home or moving to a new one, moving a pool table presents its own challenges. For starters, pool tables can weigh over 1,000 pounds or more. If you have a custom, hand-crafted pool table with three pieces of slate for the bed, you need to take the proper steps to decide the best way to move your pool table.
Step 1: Gather the supplies you need.
You will want to get a professional tape measure, notepad, and pen or pencil. You will need to take various measurements that need to be accurate.
Step 2: Decide where you want to move the pool table.
Are you relocating the pool table to a different location in your home? Or are you moving the pool table to a new home? What obstacles are in between the locations, such as doorways, stairs, etc.?
Make sure to think about these questions. As you do, decide where the pool table will be placed in its new location.
Step 3: Take measurements to determine if it will fit.
Your next step is to take a lot of measurements before moving the pool table, including:
- Measure the length of the pool table.
- Measure the width of the pool table.
- Measure the height of the pool table from the floor to the top of the side edges.
- Measure the length of the legs from the floor to where they attach to the bottom of the pool table.
- Measure the height and width of doorways, stairwells, and other obstacles between the locations.
Most importantly, ensure you take the measurements twice to verify for accuracy.
Step 4: Decide whether to disable the pool table or not.
Once you have your measurements, you will quickly know whether you have to take the pool table apart to relocate it. You DO NOT want to tip a pool table on its side to fit it through doorways, as this can damage the table.
So, if the pool table cannot be moved using dollies and sliders, it must be disassembled and taken apart.
Step 5: Hire a professional to move your pool table.
There are many reasons and benefits why you want to hire a professional pool table mover to relocate your pool table, even if you are just moving it to a new location in your house.
Disassembling the pool table requires taking the table apart, such as:
- Removing the Pockets
- Removing the Felt
- Lifting the Slate out of the Table
- Removing the Screws and Bolts
- Removing the Legs
- Removing the Side Rails
- Wrapping the Pieces in Bubble Wrap and Moving Blankets
- Loading the Pool Table onto a Moving Truck
- Unloading the Pool Table
- Reassembling the Pool Table Piece by Piece
- Ensuring the Ball Pockets Are Reinstalled Correctly
- Leveling the Pool Table
In addition, you will need all sorts of equipment and tools to safely and correctly take apart, move, and assemble the pool table, such as a power drill, socket wrench, staple remover, new felt, etc.
Not to mention the moving process requires you to have plenty of strong friends for pool table moving. You would need at least 10 people that can lift 100 pounds each to move a 1,000-pound table!
Benefits of Hiring a Pool Table Moving Company
- Prevents accidents and damage to your pool table.
- Follows the manufacturer’s instructions for disassembling the pool table to avoid damaging the table.
- Prevents injuries to you and your friends, such as throwing out your backs.
- Your pool table is taken apart and reassembled by a professional.
- The pool table is leveled correctly.
- Your pool table is carefully wrapped and padded before loading it onto the moving truck.
- All the parts of the pool table are secured and loaded correctly to prevent moving damages.
- All hardware is accounted for, such as screws, ball pockets, etc.
- Professional pool table movers know where every bolt, screw, staple, etc. need to be reinstalled.
- New felt is installed if it has to be removed as part of the moving process.
- Professional pool table movers are licensed and insured just in case there is an accident or injury.
- The pool table is set up to the Billiards Congress of America specifications in its new location.
Can’t I just use a lift or sliders to move it to another room?
It can be tempting to rent a pool table lift or sliders to relocate your pool table to another room when the opening between rooms is large enough to accommodate the pool table without taking it apart.
However, you can still potentially damage your pool table if you do not lift it correctly or use the sliders correctly. Additionally, you will still need several strong friends to help. It can be time-consuming to attempt to move a 1,000 pounds or more pool table from one room to another.
So, it is still better to hire professional pool table movers to avoid the risk of damaging the table or yourself!
Hire Blatt Billiards to Move Your Pool Table
At Blatt Billiards, our pool table movers are trained, vetted, licensed, and insured to safely disassemble, transport, and reassemble your pool table in its new location. Please fill out our online form for further information or to schedule professional pool table moving or contact us at 212-674-8855 today!